‘As a professional camcorder shooter, I’m going to edit some XAVC recoridngs from Sony XDCAM PXW-X180, ‘unknown errors’ happened when I import my XAVC to FCP X for editing. Should I need to convert the XAVC to ProRes MOV as we all know? ‘ Follow the questions mentioned above, we are going to solve the issues taht how to easily edit XAVC in FCP without trouble.
As one of the best editing tools on Mac, FCP indeed has the good ability of editing all video and audio parameters. With the best formats FCP supported, in order to import the Sony PXW-180 XVAC footage to FCP X, why not try to transcode your XAVC to ProRes MOV with a professional XAVC encoder/decoder? Let’s get more details below.
Part 1. Get Sony XAVC/XDCAM Plug-in for Final Cut Pro X
This this Sony Camera Import Plug-in that provides support for XDCAM / XDCAM EX / XAVC files shot on Sony SxS card, allowing viewing and editing capability in Final Cut Pro X. This is the latest plugin for FCP X, added support for XAVC (4K & HD) files.
Free Download: XAVC/XDCAM Plug-in for Apple (PDZK-LT2) Mac OS, Version 1.1.0, 12.4MB
This plug-in requires:
- Final Cut Pro X 10.0.6 or higher for XDCAM format
- Final Cut Pro X 10.0.8 or higher for XAVC format
This plug-in supports Sony SxS Card but not Professional Disc.
Part 2. Import Sony XDCAM PXW-X180 XDCAM MXF/XAVC files to Final Cut Pro X without plugin (Recommend)
Then what is the best Sony XDCAM Converter to deal with my XAVC/MXF codec? I searched on the web and find an easy-to-use yet professional software called Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac, which offers the best way to edit Sony XDCAM PXW-X180 video in FCP X smoothly by effortlessly and flawlessly transcoding XAVC/MXF footage to FCP native ProRes MOV format. It is safe to install and easy to use. Below will show you Sony XDCAM PXW-X180 XAVC/MXF importing and editing workflow in FCP X in details.
Convert Sony XDCAM PXW-X180 XAVC/MXF to Final Cut Pro X for editing smoothly with Apple ProRes
Step 1.Load Sony PXW-X180 XAVC/MXF files to the Prores Converter
Run Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac. Drag and drop the PXW-X180 XAVC/MXF files to the Converter. You can also hit Add files button to import videos to the app.
Step 2. Click format bar to choose output format for use in FCP X
Choose Final Cut Pro -> Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov) as best video format for editing Sony PXW-X180 XAVC/MXF in Final Cut Pro X as well as good video quality.
Step 3. Start transcoding.
Click “Convert” button to start the conversion from Sony PXW-X180 XAVC/MXF footage to FCP Apple ProRes MOV on Mac OS.
After the workflow, you can go to the output folder to find the converted video files. Now you are free to transfer Sony PXW-X180 XAVC/MXF videos in Final Cut Pro X under Mac without problems.
1. Before you try to do the conversion, if you are also a FCP X user, please make sure that you have installed the Apple ProRes Codec manually since the FCP X asks users to install it by themselves.
2. You can click “Settings” button in the main interface to customize the output video’s parameters, such as resolution, frame rate, etc.
3. If you want to edit Sony XAVC/MXF video in iMovie, you just need to choose the “iMovie and Final Cut Express -> Apple InterMediate Codec (AIC) (*.mov)” in the second step.
In collusion, XDCAM Professional users can use Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac in Part II to ingest material into Apple ProRes for Final Cut Pro X, it will help save the rending time. It will also help you easily edit Sony HD Video recordings in iMovie/FCE, Avid, Premiere Pro for editing.
You may also like:
- Import MP4 Files to FCP X for Best Editing Workflow
- How to Import and Edit AVI Files with FCP X on Mac El Capitan/Sierra
- How to Fix FCP X MOV Files Importing Troubles
- Native Edit H.264 with FCP X or Transcode H.264 to Prores for FCP X Editing
- How to Import and Edit WMV Files to FCP X
- Best Workflow of Canon 5D Mark IV 4K MOV with FCP X